Sunday, 1 April 2007

The Six Weird Things... Thing.

A while ago Aliemalie asked me to come up with six weird things about myself, so here goes-

1) Eggs
They scare me. Is that weird enough for you? Actually that's not entirely true; it's really the shells- I can't bare to touch them. The texture of an egg shell just makes my skin crawl. The fact that they normally feel cold only adds to this.
Unfortunately for me I love the taste of eggs, so if you ever want to get on my good side make me an omelette but don't show me the shells. I'm like someone who likes eating meat but doesn't want to know how that meat made it to their dinner plate.
It all stems from the fact that I used to earn money boxing up and selling eggs. I think that all those years of having to handle eggs must have triggered some weird kind of overdose.

2) Superstitions
I'm heavily superstitious. For some reason this always seems to surprise people when they find this out about me. While I am completely aware of how irrational it is to believe in superstitions I can't help but think it doesn't hurt to cover yourself- just in case.
The one that really surprises people is the fact that I think it is bad luck to pass someone on the stairs. People normally think I'm just making that one up, but it is a real one. It's even on Wikipedia if you don't believe me.

3) Repetition
This really freaks me out and is probably why I have never liked dance music.
I don't know why but any repetitive sound or even just somebody saying the same phrase over and over again really bothers me.
When GF was still a tiny baby, if she suddenly started to have a good cry the mother-out-law would say, "What are you doing? Are you pinching her bum? Pinching her bum? Squawk! Pinching her bum?" which really started to get on my nerves. Okay, you are probably thinking that the parrot impersonation might be a bit of an exageration but you would be wrong. Even now people will say that phrase to wind me up and whenever I hear it you can visibly see me tense up.

4) Numbers
Show me a page of numbers and I'll show you a man about to drift in to a coma. You only need to start talking about numbers to me and my mind automatically switches off. Numbers fascinate me but at the same time I just fail to get any particular grasp on them.
Once, when I was ill I had a nightmare that was just a blue screen with a load of numbers floating repetitively across it, thus incorporating two of my least favourite things.

5) Repetition
This really freaks me out and is... oh. I'll start again.

5) Nails
I can't stand people touching my nails. I also don't like feeling other peoples nails and the image of a nail breaking makes me cringe. For some strange reason I've had a couple of women comment that they wish they had nails like mine. I don't know why- It's not as if I have ever looked after them.
Many years ago I was sat with my arm around my then girlfriend at a mates house. The friend saw my hand but thought it was hers, made a comment about how lovely her hand looked and then went to stroke it. Not too weird then.

Below is a re-enactment of that day. The parts of those involved are being portrayed by actors-


Early attempts to set up 'The League of Pirate Librarians' were met with a disappointing lack of success.

I am sat here looking at my hands and I can't see it.

6) Clothes
Spider said I had to include this one, so here it is- Continuing the embarassingly girly theme- I have more clothes than she does (although I feel I should make it clear that she does have more shoes than me).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Yep. Weirdo.
2. No, not surprising. Just annoying.
3. Now, I like a certain amount of repetition in my music from time to time (see www.yesbutnobutyes.com/archives/2006/02/bunny_rabbits_s.html)but I find the outlaw baby talk homicidally irritating just from reading it once! You have my sympathies.
4. You must have hated The Matrix.
5. Was that me? Ewww. (I get the compliments thing too. Maybe it's an extension of the 'leave it alone or it'll drop off' rule)
6. Ah, but all of yours are black, which is slimming, so they take up less space. Logic!

AlieMalie said...

hmm, and you're sure that little quiz atop this is correct? just 40% weird you say?

:)

Anonymous said...

Well, some of those are weird. I'm surprised at the superstitions thing, but I was raised with a whole load of them (including the not passing on the stairs) so we'll have to compare notes next time I'm in the library - while I look at your hands, because I'm intrigued now. Don't put me on enquiry desk, or I'll touch your nails... now, *that's* a weird threat. :D

Neath said...

Xulub-
1. Thanks.
2. I know.
3. I had to stop listening to that about halfway through! I'm still laughing just thinking about it though.
4. Mainly the sequels.
5. No, don't worry it wasn't you. Remember 'Meridian?'
6. Thanks- I'm definately using that excuse.
: D

Aliemalie- It might have been a glitch...
: )

Nutter4- You stay away from my nails!
: )

Anonymous said...

5. Ahh, that explains it. Phew! (sigh of relief, then shudder when he remembers Meridian)